PLUS Make my High Performance Snacks the perfect back to school/back to work treat!
Having done recent and further research into the refining processes of coconut oil, I am no longer recommending refined coconut as an oil to use. I recently read from Rose Hanley of Healthy Eating, that refined coconut oil refers to coconut oil that has been bleached, and deodorized. The oil is derived from dried coconut meat known as copra. Traditional Tropics notes that oil obtained from copra has to be purified with bleaching clays because contaminants arise during the drying process. High heat is then used to deodorize the coconut oil to remove its distinctive odor and flavor. Sodium hydroxide is often added to prolong its shelf life.
To obtain the most oil, some brands use chemical solvents to extract as much oil as possible from the meat. They may partially hydrogenate the oil, too, which means it will contain trans-fats.
I ALWAYS advise against the consumption of trans-fats, noting they raise bad cholesterol levels while lowering good cholesterol levels, disrupts hormonal balance and fuels inflammation in the body, which forms the base of all diseases. We now know that even if there is an increase of just 2% of trans fat in the diet the chances of heart disease increase by a massive 23%.
Unrefined coconut oil is often referred to as “virgin” or “pure” coconut oil. It is coconut oil extracted from fresh coconut meat rather than dried. The fresh coconut meat undergoes one of two processes: wet milling or quick drying.
Quick drying, the most common method used, promptly dries the coconut meat and the oil is mechanically expressed. Wet milling refers to the process in which the coconut milk is expressed from the fresh meat and then boiled, fermented or separated from the milk using enzymes or centrifuge. Due to the quick process, the resulting oil does not require bleaching or additives. It also isn’t exposed to high heat levels like its refined counterpart. It retains the distinct flavor and odor of coconut.
Coconut oil is mainly made up of a medium-chain fatty acid called lauric acid. Dr. Mary Enig, a nutrition research scientist for the Weston A. Price Foundation, highlights the numerous health benefits associated with lauric acid consumption that include antiviral, antibacterial, anticancer and immune and metabolism boosting effects.
These medium chain fatty acids are metabolized by the liver and used for immediate energy and therefore not stored as fat. Both refined and unrefined coconut oil contains the same amount of this beneficial fatty acid. Unrefined coconut oil, however, is richer in phytonutrients than refined coconut oil. Polyphenols, which act as antioxidants in the body, are damaged by the bleaching and heating process used to produce refined coconut oil, so more are present in the unrefined kind. Unless you can find a refined coconut oil that has not been partially hydrogenated and had chemicals added then my advice is to stay away from it.
Try these awesome High Performance Nut Snacks
- 1 cup activated walnuts
- 1 cup activated pecans
- ½ cup sesame seeds
• 4 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
• 1 tsp of finely grated fresh ginger
• 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (lightly toasted)
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a large saucepan on low heat for a few minutes, make sure the heat is very low as the sesame seeds are very heat sensitive – you want to lightly toast them without burning them
- Add the walnuts and pecans to a food processor or blender and pulse into coarse flour.
- Then pour everything into the pan. Add honey, coconut oil, ginger, shredded coconut and salt and stir around until everything is combined, sticky and warm.
- Cover a 20×25 cm baking tray with baking paper and pour the sesame mixture into it.
- Flatten it out with your fingers and the backside of a spoon (dip it in water to prevent the sesame seeds from sticking to it).
- Store in the fridge for at least an hour then cut them up and wrap them in baking paper.
I have many more irresistible recipes in my Amazon Best selling book “Rocket Fuel On A Budget” Click here or on the image below to pick up a hard copy or an e-book that you can access IMMEDIATELY!
And please come on over and join us on our Facebook page Energy Coaching Institute
As ever, yours in healthy and vitality,
Twice Amazon #1 Best Selling Author and Founder, Energy Coaching Institute