Serves 4 -6
2 tspn salt
2 tspn ground cumin
2 tspn ground cinnamon
1 tspn ground turmeric
1 tspn freshly ground black pepper
1.4 – 1.6 kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
100ml coconut oil
5 cloves garlic, bruised
2 brown onions, thickly sliced
100g fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 red chillies, split
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 pinches saffron threads
1/2 tspn cumin seeds
5 sprigs thyme
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tbspn honey
2 tbspn vegetable stock powder
1/2 bunch of coriander
- Combine salt, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and turmeric in a large bag, add chicken and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based pan over a high heat.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides.
- Remove and place in slow cooker.
- Add onions, ginger, garlic and chillies to pan and cook for around 3 minutes, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Add tomatoes, saffron, cumin seeds and thyme and cook for 2 minutes and then transfer into slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hrs.