Today our hero ingredient is Butter
The recipe I’m using today with butter is an all time favourite of mine. It’s the delicious Chicken Liver Pate and it never ceases to amaze me how many people consider it to be unhealthy. It was once considered the number one brain food and was always highly recommended for mums to be. Where did all this wisdom go? Now we consider it to be a sinful indulgence, but on the contrary, its jam packed full of essential nutrients and is on my list of Super Foods for the following reasons, its rich in:
• Iron for healthy blood
• Folate for healthy cell regeneration and protection from heart disease
• B12 for a healthy nervous system
• Vitamin B6 for healthy hormones and protein metabolism
• Vitamin A for healthy eyes, skin and respiratory tract
• Zinc for healthy skin and immune system
• Protein for growth, repair and regeneration
• Choline (amino acid) for healthy nerves and muscles
• Cholesterol (yes cholesterol IS an essential ‘nutrient’, without it there’d be no estrogen, progesterone or testosterone, you’d have leaky cells and you wouldn’t be able to store memories or make myelin which protects your nerves. If your cholesterol is high you need to find out why YOUR liver is producing more than it should. Your liver makes 80% of the cholesterol found in your body, 10% is made in your digestive tract and 5% in your skin. Only 5-10% comes from dietary sources.
• FYI breast milk contains more cholesterol than any other food!! Did Mother Nature get it wrong…I think not!!
Try it on toast for breakfast (makes better brain food than honey on toast and most kids love it provided you don’t tell them what it’s made from!). It also makes a great mid afternoon snack with some raw organic carrot and celery sticks.
In this clip I outline some of butter’s nutritional benefits. Click here or on the image below to watch now!
Chicken Liver Pate
500 gr organic chicken livers (most important to use organic liver only, it is the detoxifying organ after all)
1 onion diced
3 slices of bacon (optional)
1 clove of garlic
250r organic butter
100 ml of white wine (optional)
Herbs such as rosemary, thyme, tarragon, or parsley (optional)
1. Heat 50 gr of butter in pan; add onion garlic and sauté for 1 minute add bacon and livers sauté till opaque. Add herbs if selected. Add white and reduce to just a moist consistency. Let cool.
2. Transfer to blender, add remaining butter and blend till smooth.
3. Transfer to glass container and refrigerate.
4. Additional melted butter can be drizzled over the top to preserve color and help to keep the pate from forming a skin on top.